At its briefing in advance of the E3 Expo Nintendo announced products for social entertainment that stretch beyond the current notion of what a video game can be.
“Nintendo continues to challenge how both new and longtime players perceive – and play – video games,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “From modern updates of our most iconic franchises to the introduction of inventive devices, we are continuing to add entirely new dimensions to the video game experience.”
A summary of Nintendo’s major announcements:
• Wii MotionPlus™: Wii MotionPlus will complement a host of third-party games launching in the next few weeks and will come in at a suggested retail price of R349.00
• Wii Sports Resort™: Wii Sports Resort will be released in mid July at a suggested retail price of R699.00.
• Wii Fit™ Plus: Wii Fit Plus will come packed with the Wii Balance Board™ accessory, and also will be sold separately as software for people who already have a Wii Balance Board at home. Both will be available in late 2009.
• New Super Mario Bros. Wii™: Developers at Nintendo have dreamed of creating a simultaneous multiplayer Super Mario Bros. game for decades. With the multiplayer mode, the newest installment of the most popular video game franchise is designed to bring another type of family entertainment into living rooms with Super Mario Bros.
• Super Mario Galaxy™ 2: This 3-D platforming adventure provides longtime video game fans with a fresh round of out-of-this-world challenges in the style introduced in the critically acclaimed original. The game is planned for 2010.
• Metroid™: Other M: Nintendo showcased a trailer for a new installment in its acclaimed Metroid franchise for the Wii console. Metroid: Other M marks a collaboration with world-renowned developers Team Ninja. This game is scheduled for release in 2010.
Wii Vitality Sensor: The Wii Vitality Sensor initially senses the user’s pulse and a number of other signals being transmitted by their bodies, and will then provide information to the users about the body’s inner world.
Nintendo DS™ and Nintendo DSi™
• Mario & Luigi™: Bowser’s Inside Story
• Golden Sun™ DS
• WarioWare D.I.Y.™