EMC Corporation has announced new software capabilities for its industry-leading Symmetrix® VMAX™ storage systems, dramatically increasing performance and simplifying the way petabytes (1 petabyte = 1,000 terabytes) of information can be managed.
Designed for mission-critical virtual data centres, it is the world’s most powerful, trusted and smartest storage array. The new capabilities were announced as part of major customer, partner, press and analyst events being held worldwide.
- New software release doubles system performance with no hardware upgrade required.
- New version of FAST VP (Fully Automated Storage Tiering with Virtual Pools) software automatically optimises systems and lowers costs by 40%.
- New Federated Live Migration capabilities cut technology refresh time and cost by 75%.
- New VMware and Microsoft Hyper-V integration makes it possible for scale-out Symmetrix VMAX cluster to support 5 million virtual machines.
- New data-at-rest encryption capabilities using embedded encryption and key management from RSA.
Symmetrix VMAX Software Highlights
- The latest version of SymmetrixEnginuity™ software doubles system performance with no hardware upgrade required. It fully leverages Intel® Xeon® technology integrated into VMAX to deliver up to twice as many OLTP transactions and DSS queries, making the fastest storage system even faster and further increasing workload scale.
- New EMC FAST VP (Fully Automated Storage Tiering with Virtual Pools) software optimises Symmetrix VMAX for performance, utilisation, and cost. Compared to single-tier systems, FAST VP delivers up to 40% more application performance at a 40% lower cost while requiring 87% fewer disks and 75% less power. The energy efficiencies of VMAX with FAST VP will enable customers to reduce power consumption in 2011 by over 270 million kilowatt hours – enough to power 24,400 homes.
- New Federated Live Migration software creates a new storage category by introducing the industry’s first and only built in array-based functionality for technology refreshes that require zero application downtime and 75% less migration time, planning and resources.
- New virtual server integration delivers unprecedented scale with up to 5 million virtual machines on a single VMAX. In addition, new VMware API support provides 800% faster management and provisioning and 300% faster replication and mobility.
- New hardware-based encryption for safeguarding data-at-rest with no performance impact. Built-in RSA Data Protection Manager technology provides drive-level data security combined with hardened key management which, when combined with existing VMAX security technologies, provides the industry’s only totally secure multi-tenancy storage infrastructure.
- New native 10 Gigabit Ethernet delivers the industry’s first and only high-end storage array to support network convergence across all host platform types, including virtual servers, open systems, and mainframe environments. In addition, native Ethernet support can be used for remote replication over extended IP networks and provides a more than 50% connectivity cost saving compared to competitive alternatives.