EMC Corporation, the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, has further extended its lead in all major storage markets with the announcement of a record-breaking number of new systems and capabilities designed to make it simpler than ever for businesses and organisations of all sizes to harness and exploit the massive amounts of information they generate each day.
EMC has introduced multiple new storage systems and software features – more than 40 new technologies and products in all – including new arrays for small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs), new unified systems for the midrange, new software for its high-end systems and new disk-based backup and recovery and archiving systems. The technologies are part of a multi-billion dollar investment in storage that positions EMC at the intersection of all the major trends that are driving massive information growth, including cloud computing and Big Data applications.
- EMC executives, including Chairman and CEO Joe Tucci, are kicking off a three-continent, multi-day series of press, analyst, customer and partner events that highlight record-breaking new innovations and technological achievements resulting from a multi-year investment in the build out of a next-generation storage family
- As part of these events, attendees will witness daredevils and others attempt to break several Guinness World Records – all with a storage twist.
- More than 40 new storage technologies and products being introduced are part of the broadest set offered by any one company. They reinforce EMC’s leadership in one of the hottest sectors of the technology industry and powerfully position EMC at the intersection of major trends driving information growth, including cloud computing and Big Data applications .
- The new EMC® VNXe™ systems are the most simple, efficient and affordable unified storage systems available and are designed specifically for small and medium-sized businesses.
- The new EMC VNX™ family of unified storage systems consolidates the numerous leading capabilities of EMC CLARiiON® and Celerra® systems into a single set of powerful arrays that are easy to manage and 3 times simpler, faster and more efficient than previous systems.
- Innovative new software for EMC Symmetrix® VMAX™ storage systems make them the most powerful, trusted and smartest systems available. The new features include a new version of FAST (Fully Automated Storage Tiering) software that automatically optimises where data is located as well as a new operating environment that doubles system performance with no hardware upgrade required.
- New high performing versions of Data Domain® de-duplication storage systems that are 7 times faster than the competition and the new Data Domain Archiver system shatter performance records and redefine how enterprises backup, archive and restore information
New Hardware and Software Highlights
- The world’s most simple, efficient and affordable unified storage array is the new EMC VNXe storage system, which is designed specifically for SMBs and offered through EMC partners. The VNXe can be configured in minutes by IT generalists to support virtual servers and hundreds of email users. It offers advanced storage technologies with an intuitive, easy-to-use interface for set-up, management and serviceability (see separate release).
- The new EMC VNX family of unified storage systems converge EMC’s market-leading CLARiiON storage area network (SAN) systems and number one Celerra network attached storage (NAS) systems into a single, easily managed and powerful family of unified storage arrays that are 3 times simpler, more efficient and faster, and have the full suite of functionality of its predecessors
- Innovative new EMC Symmetrix VMAX software technologies make it the most powerful, trusted and smartest storage array in the world, capable of supporting petabytes of information and up to 5 million virtual machines. Among the multiple new features are an advanced version of FAST (fully automated storage tiering) software that automatically optimises the array based on data usage; new server virtualisation, security and federation capabilities; and new operating software that doubles system performance with no hardware upgrade required
- New Data Domain backup and archiving capabilities, including new systems that are 7 times faster than the competition, providing the industry’s fastest backups and new Data Domain Archiver systems, the industry’s first de-duplication system designed exclusively for long-term disk-based retention of backups