EMC® Corporation, the world leader in information infrastructure solutions, has announced the most significant array of disk-based backup advancements in the history of the company.
Taken in sum, these new products, system enhancements, integration initiatives and performance gains substantially alter the existing landscape for backup and recovery. The new EMC Data Domain® Global De-duplication Array (GDA) incorporates two of the new EMC Data Domain DD890 controllers, making the GDA the world’s fastest de-duplication storage system.
EMC also announced that the GDA now supports the EMC Data Domain Virtual Tape Library software option, which further expands the number of supported backup applications including IBM Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM). New high-end Data Domain DD890 and DD860 single controller systems also eclipse the throughput of competing solutions by up to a factor of 8. In addition, Data Domain systems now natively support and can protect IBM Power systems using the IBM i operating environment as yet another shared workload across the majority of the product line. Finally, EMC also announced the EMC Data Domain Archiver, the industry’s first long-term retention system for backup and archive.
Within a fixed backup window, throughput performance ultimately dictates a backup de-duplication storage system’s usable capacity. Regardless of how much raw storage a disk-based backup system may provide, its actual usable capacity correlates to the amount of data the system can ingest within the available backup window. With its latest announcement, EMC has again proven its ability to extend the performance characteristics of its backup systems and deliver a balance of performance and capacity that is better suited to solve customer problems than other products in the market today.
EMC’s new products and expansion of support for additional application environments create new opportunities for users to holistically address the full range of their data protection initiatives. Enterprise environments typically have a variety of system and workload types to protect, which often lead to multiple backup approaches. EMC’s unmatched scope of integrated disk-based backup systems eliminates silos of redundant processes as well as associated cost and management complexities.
- EMC announces the most significant disk-based backup advancements in company history with new products, system enhancements, integration initiatives and performance gains.
- EMC Data Domain Global De-duplication Array extends its lead as the world’s fastest de-duplication storage system with performance that is now more than 7 times faster than its dual-controller competitor.
- EMC announces new high-end Data Domain DD890 and DD860 single controller systems that eclipse the throughput of competing solutions by up to a factor of 8.
- EMC introduces the new Data Domain Archiver, the industry’s first long-term retention system for backup and archive
New Product Highlights and Performance Leadership
- Data Domain Global De-duplication Array (GDA) – Faster throughput of up to 26.3 TB/hr (7,300 MB/s) gives the new GDA an ingest rate that is more than 7 times faster than its dual-controller competitor. Logical capacity of up to 28.5 PB and new VTL over Fibre Channel support extends the application of the GDA to a broader set of large enterprise environments.
- Data Domain DD890 and DD860 Systems — With throughput of up to 14.7 and 9.8 TB/hr respectively, the new DD890 and DD860 systems are the fastest single controller de-duplication storage systems available in their respective classes. Logical capacity for the DD890 is up to 14.2 PB, and up to 7.1 PB for the DD860.
- Native Data Domain Support for IBM i Operating Environments—With up to 8.1 TB/hr of throughput, EMC delivers the industry’s fastest inline de-duplication storage for IBM i operating environments. Seamless integration for the IBM Power product line enables network-based disaster recovery and simultaneous protection for IBM i and open systems environments on a single Data Domain system.