The Veeam team at Workgroup IT has announced the local availability of Veeam’s Backup & Replication version 5.0 whose added functionality gives businesses compelling reasons to virtualise critical enterprise applications, such as CRM, ERP and email systems.
Version 5.0 provides 2-in-1 backup and replication for virtual machines (VMs) running on VMware ESX(i) and performs functions not possible with traditional physical backup solutions or other virtual backup tools.
This is according to Lauren Starkey, product manager: Veeam at Workgroup IT who says that, with patent pending technology, Veeam Backup & Replications 5.0 can run a VM in production or in an isolated virtual lab directly from a compressed and deduplicated backup file on regular backup storage.
“As a result, it is now possible to instantly recover a VM directly from a backup, restore individual objects (email messages, database records, etc) from any virtualised application and automatically verify the recoverability of every backup without additional hardware or staff,” she says.
“This technology also enables organisations to gain additional value from their investments in backup storage by using backups to create an ‘on demand sandbox’ for troubleshooting, testing and development.”
Starkey says that, by virtualising enterprise applications on VMware vSphere and using Veeam Backup & Replications v5, businesses can overcome the limitations of traditional backup and gain fast, flexible and reliable recovery of critical applications. This is including databases such as Oracle and Microsoft SQL Server and email systems such as Microsoft Exchange.
By running a VM directly from a backup file without modifying the backup, and by creating an isolated environment where VMs can run, Veeam Backup & Replication v5 provides:
- Instant VM Recovery: Restore an entire virtual machine from a backup file in minutes. Users remain productive while IT troubleshoots the issue.
- U-AIR (Universal Application-Item Recovery): Recover individual items from any virtualised application, on any operating system, without additional backups, agents or software tools. Eliminates the need for expensive special-purpose tools and extends granular recovery to all applications and users.
- SureBackup Recovery Verification: Automatically verify the recoverability of every backup, of every virtual machine, every time. Eliminates uncertainty and sets a new standard in data protection.
- On-demand Sandbox: Create test VMs from any point in time to troubleshoot problems or test workarounds, software patches and new application code. Eliminates the need for dedicated test labs and the overhead that extra VMware snapshots place on VMs.
- Instant File-level Recovery for any file system: Recover an entire VM or an individual file from the same image-level backup. Extends instant file-level recovery to all VMs.