Ruckus Wireless has unveiled the ZoneDirector 5000 (ZD5000), along with a collection of advanced capabilities within a new version of its award-winning ZoneFlex software (v9.2), that delivers scalability, simplicity and security for providing Wi-Fi access to diverse user groups across multiple locations.
The ZD5000 is the industry’s first WLAN controller-based system that can be deployed either in-line, or out of the data path, supporting up to 20,000 clients, 1,000 access points (APs), 2048 wireless LANs (WLANs) and 1,000 tunneled connections within a single platform. Furthermore, Ruckus Wireless has increased the client capacity of its ZoneFlex access points to support 256 concurrent devices per radio, providing a Wi-Fi solution for high-capacity, dense user environments where reliable Wi-Fi services and extended coverage are critical.
“Given the unstoppable move to mobile Internet devices and applications, dealing with user density and scalability is quickly becoming a point of contention for enterprises and service providers,” says Michael Fletcher, Sales Director for Ruckus Wireless, Sub-Saharan Africa. “Ruckus Wireless is tackling this problem by combining patented adaptive antenna technology that enables more consistent performance and client.”
In addition to the ZD5000 platform, Ruckus has introduced a new version of its award-winning ZoneFlex Smart/OS software system (version 9.2) for all of its Smart WLAN controllers with important enhancements including:
- AP groups for bulk configuration and simplified WLAN administration,
- Smart mesh enhancements that increase overall network performance and reliability,
- Dual stack IPv4/IPv6 support for virtually limitless IP addressing,
- Remote packet capture on Ruckus APs to streamline troubleshooting and network analysis,
- Automatic proxy configuration for clients to enhance security and network performance,
- Ethernet port security that protects against unauthorised network access through APs installed in public areas,
- Configurable timeouts for idle clients that help increase network capacity and re-authentication grace periods that eliminate users from having to constantly re-authenticate,
- Wireless Internet Service Provider roaming (WISPr) and Layer to tunneling protocol (L2TP) support on standalone ZoneFlex 802.11n APs for seamless integration and flexible deployment of hotspot services.
Adds Fletcher; “To simplify the management, configuration and troubleshooting of large-scale WLAN environments, Ruckus is introducing a number of software enhancements where Ruckus Wireless access points now support remote wireless packet capture for troubleshooting and network analysis.”
Additionally, ensuring the highest levels of wireless security, encrypted data tunnels now provide privacy for data traffic traversing the wired LAN – making Ruckus Wireless ZoneFlex access points the ideal Wi-Fi solution for retail operations concerned with Payment Card Industry (PCI) compliance. Support for Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) has also been added to all Ruckus access points used as standalone ones.