According to a new survey conducted by Sophos on employee usage behaviour, a staggering 96 percent of respondents (IT professionals) do not trust their end users to make sound IT security decisions.
The survey results highlight the need to educate employees on IT security issues and best practices. In line with this requirement, Sophos has developed a free IT Security DOs and DON’Ts training tool for IT professionals.
In the survey, Sophos asked IT professionals from around the globe several questions about employee IT usage behaviour. Additional highlights include:
• 48% of respondents fix security issues caused by end user negligence at least once a week
• 26% of respondents say senior management commits the worst IT security offenses
• 19% of respondents say that IT commits the worst IT security offenses
These results underscore the impact that a lack of understanding of security policies and best practices—in every department and at all levels of an organisation—can have on an IT infrastructure.
In its ongoing commitment to aid IT departments in educating employees, Sophos’ programme aims to assist IT professionals in teaching their colleagues about security. The IT Security DOs and DON’Ts kit includes materials such as:
• A launch guide with quick tips for IT professionals to begin an educational program
• IT Security DOs and DON’Ts posters and a handbook for end users with top-ten tips
• Bite-sized reminder email templates
• A password DOs and DON’Ts one-pager to help end users create strong passwords
• A PowerPoint presentation for IT professionals to use for training.
“Sophos has transformed its security expertise into a range of educational tools that will both inform and entertain,” adds Brett Myroff, CEO of Sophos distributor, NetXactics.
For additional information on the program, please visit www.sophos.com/staysafe.