- Dell vStart and reference architectures provide streamlined deployment and enable customers to maximise the comprehensive Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V virtualization platform
- New end-to-end desktop virtualization solution helps amplify workforce productivity benefits of Windows Server 2012
- Dell Converged Blade Data Center offers robust enterprise infrastructure for delivering Microsoft workloads
- Customers can proactively manage physical and virtual infrastructure with Dell OpenManage Integration Suite for Microsoft System Center 2012
Dell today announced its innovations in the PowerEdge 12th generation servers that enable customers to take immediate advantage of key advancements in Microsoft Corp.’s Windows Server 2012. Dell PowerEdge 12th generation server customers can optimise the dynamic virtualization infrastructure that Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V provides to scale and secure workloads, cost-effectively virtualize their data centre, manage infrastructure efficiently, and build cloud environments.
Realize the Full Potential of Virtualization
Fully engineered for virtualization with large memory support and enhanced IO throughput, PowerEdge 12th generation servers enable customers to maximise the comprehensive virtualization platform offered in Windows Server 2012. This helps IT administrators create dynamic data centres and cloud infrastructures that provide flexible workloads, networks and storage solutions.
- Dell PowerEdge M420 and C6220 servers provide virtualization node density that drives the increased scalability of Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V environments
- Dell vStart and reference architectures provide streamlined deployment and building blocks for private cloud
Streamline Management of IT Infrastructure
Dell PowerEdge embedded server management, Integrated Dell Remote Access Controller (iDRAC) 7 with Lifecycle Controller, simplifies hardware management and integrates seamlessly with System Center 2012 to offer improved IT efficiency and productivity in Windows Server 2012 virtual and physical environments.
Windows Server 2012 and Dell PowerEdge customers are able to automate deployment, updates, monitoring and maintenance of Dell servers in physical and virtual environments through OpenManage integration with Microsoft System Center. Dell Lifecycle Controller Integration is unique in enabling agent-free, automated, remote, one-to-many BIOS and firmware server updates through the System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) console, independent of the operating system (OS) and hypervisor. PowerEdge updates can be performed up to 11 times faster and in 81 percent fewer steps than HP servers in a comparable multi-vendor OS and hypervisor environment.
Enable Improved Workforce Productivity
Dell innovations can enhance workforce productivity by amplifying the access to applications and data which Windows Server 2012 empowers. These benefits are highlighted by Dell end-to-end Desktop Virtualization Solutions offering a combination of Microsoft Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), reducing the cost per seat while optimising the user experience. Dell recently announced Dell DVS Reference Architecture for Windows Server 2012, providing organisations choosing to deploy a Microsoft-based virtualization strategy with an end-to-end virtualization solution including support for application virtualization using App-V, and a choice of RDS and virtual machines that are all configured, deployed and managed from a single console. This reference architecture documents pre-tested and pre-configured hardware including Dell PowerEdge R720 rack servers, EqualLogic Storage, a Force10 networking switch, and select Dell Wyse end points.
An Enterprise-Class Data Centre for Delivering Mission-Critical Microsoft Workloads
The Dell Converged Blade Data Centre provides an enterprise infrastructure optimal for Microsoft workloads. Specifically, Windows Server 2012 Hyper-V delivers key new features and capabilities that, when combined with end-to-end Dell solutions, offer a high level of value for a virtualized environment. For example:
- Dell end-to-end 10Gbe networking architecture offers quick migrations when coupled with Hyper-V’s ability to use higher network bandwidths for live migrations in a clustered environment and perform multiple migrations simultaneously.
- This infrastructure offers an entire enterprise-class data centre, complete with converged storage and fabric ideal for delivering mission-critical Microsoft workloads such as Exchange, SharePoint, Lync, SQL Server, and .NET applications.
- Dell’s Virtual Network Architecture, distributed core leaf-spine architectures, and converged infrastructure solutions complement Microsoft’s Windows Server 2012, System Center 2012 and network virtualization technologies to enable customers to seamlessly move workloads from private to hybrid and cloud environments.
Ensure a Smooth Transition
Overall customers are able to power Microsoft’s cutting-edge Windows Server 2012 innovations with Dell’s complete end-to-end solutions, expertise and services. This enables customers to make informed migration decisions and implement IT infrastructures that integrate Windows Server 2012 at the time best suited for their unique needs.
“For decades, Dell has worked with Microsoft to deliver real solutions to customer challenges. This strong partnership has resulted in innovations that accelerate systems deployment and provisioning, and now with agent-free monitoring through the OpenManage Integration Suite for Systems Center 2012,” said Kobus de Beer, enterprise brand manager, Dell South Africa. “With the latest, award-winning Dell PowerEdge 12th generation servers, customers can take immediate advantage of the ground-breaking advancements of Microsoft Windows Server 2012 – like high density PowerEdge servers that enable the new increased scalability of clusters and Windows Server Hyper-V.”
“Windows Server 2012 was built on the foundation of Microsoft’s deep experience with very large cloud datacentres,” said Mike Schutz, general manager, product marketing, Windows Server, at Microsoft. “Dell’s 12th generation PowerEdge servers take advantage of Windows Server 2012 breakthrough capabilities across storage, networking and virtualization. Dell offers innovations such as the Dell Converged Blade Data Center for mission-critical Microsoft workloads.”
“IT is transforming our business and our industry. With Dell PowerEdge servers and Windows Server 2012, we have a solution that can really drive that transformation – enabling us to streamline operations and give employees the tools to work smarter,” said Justin Apps, head of enterprise architecture, Menzies Aviation. “I can manage everything from the server’s application layer right down to its processors – all from one console. It takes the idea of simplified management to a new level, and will definitely boost our productivity and free IT staff for strategic projects.”
Forrest Norrod blog post: