Cambium Networks™, a leading provider of wireless broadband access network solutions, today unveiled the Canopy PMP 450, a new platform designed to satisfy the ever-increasing desire for bandwidth among Internet users. A fourth-generation (4G), point-to-multipoint (PMP) fixed wireless broadband access solution, the PMP 450 delivers the capacity and performance service providers and private network operators require to meet today’s demanding and growing need for bandwidth.
Tony Rodrigues, Regional Sales Manager for Cambium Networks in Sub Saharan Africa, says that there is an urgent need in Africa to expand broadband connectivity to rural and unconnected communities. “Connectivity across the continent will substantially affect the healthcare, education standards and entrepreneurship, and we believe this product will assist in addressing this need.” The PMP 450 utilises a combination of very high throughput, low latency and GPS synchronization that enables service providers to rapidly deploy new services and increase revenue and profitability while realising a much faster return on their investment.
“We live in a fast-paced digital age, so it’s imperative that service providers stay ahead of customer demands,” said Phil Bolt, CEO and president, Cambium Networks. “The PMP 450 is a software-defined radio platform that will enable service providers to quickly power their network infrastructure to support more customers with greater bandwidth. The technological innovation we are bringing to market with this platform is truly transformative. It will give service providers the confidence and means to build networks that will meet the communication needs of today’s users well into the future.”
In particular, service providers currently are challenged to deliver total service enablement or converged multi-service networks that offer high capacity, availability and reliability for on-demand and streaming applications, such as video and gaming. DSL technology is exceptionally expensive to deploy in low-density areas due to the need to install extensive fibre networks. As a result, service providers are looking to wireless broadband as a cost-effective way to rapidly deploy solutions to support, expand or extend existing networks and enable rapid expansion of network connectivity. With the PMP 450 4G platform, service providers can also meet the demands of enterprise customers who need both high uplink and downlink connectivity (symmetrical service) to support cloud computing and video conferencing.
The PMP 450 allows service providers to reach data rates of more than 90 Mbps of peak throughput in only 20 MHz of spectrum from a single Access Point (AP). For those looking to deploy a more extensive network, two rings of six APs provide more than 1 gigabit of throughput. With the increased capacity provided by the PMP 450, service providers have the options to provide additional bandwidth to existing customers and add new customers, as well as offer voice and video services to all of them, which significantly increases average revenue per user (ARPU).
Key Features and Benefits
The Canopy PMP 450 provides:
- High Throughput – With more than 1Gbps of throughput at an access network tower location, service providers can now offer new applications to enterprise and residential customers.
- Near and Non Line-of-Sight Capabilities – Using OFDM and MIMO technologies, the PMP 450 provides the industry’s best performance in the most challenging deployments.
- Low Latency – Consistently low 3–5ms latency, that also scales exceptionally well, enables service providers to grow revenue by offering sensitive streaming video and voice services.
- GPS Synchronization – Provides consistent operation at all capacities with the ability to scale to large deployments without affecting performance.
- Long Range Connectivity – Delivers long-range connectivity up to 20 miles (32 km).
- Dual Band Coverage – Operates at 5.4 and 5.8 GHz frequencies in Europe and 5.8 GHz in the U.S. with a single SKU covering both bands and at rates more than 90 Mbps per sector.
- Efficient, Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation – Uses the Canopy MAC protocol for greater payload capacity; maximizes sector capacity in dual mode.
- Proven Performance – Cambium’s experience, quality and outstanding performance allows service providers to deploy with confidence.
For additional product information, please visit the Canopy PMP 450 webpage.