- New line up of devices featuring Touch functionality combine inspired design with advanced features
- Advanced security and flexible management options that meet the most rigorous demands of enterprise IT departments and consumers alike
- Users benefit from secure and convenient anytime, anywhere access to work and personal content
Dell today detailed its strategy for developing and deploying PCs that enable new user experiences while also meeting enterprise IT demands around security, manageability and reliability. The company recently introduced a completely redesigned portfolio of personal computing devices, services and solutions that let people move easily between work and personal applications. The devices also help enterprise IT departments deliver solutions that enable personal productivity while also protecting sensitive corporate data.
New Client Devices
Dell has recently introduced a completely redesigned platform of new commercial and consumer tablets and PCs that combine a consumer-friendly aesthetic with advanced business client functionality. These new form factors were created to capitalize on the advances in new operating systems such as Windows 8 and make touch computing available to more end-users than ever before.
“As one of the world’s largest and most successful companies, General Electric maintains a diverse set of technology solutions to address the needs of our global workforce,” said John Seral, senior vice president and chief information officer at GE Energy. “This diversity creates security and management challenges for IT, especially when new operating systems and software packages are considered. That’s why GE is excited to work with Dell and use its XPS product line for our enterprise needs. The design is attractive and something our employees are proud to carry around and the security benefits make IT’s lives much easier. Simplification is a major focus at GE and reducing operating system variance from Microsoft Windows is helped by the XPS platform that is sleek and light.”
The new devices recently introduced by Dell include the:
- Latitude 10 – Dell’s first business-class tablet that takes advantage of the latest advances in touch-enabled applications and fits easily into current IT environments by supporting existing Microsoft productivity applications and plugging into existing management consoles;
- Latitude 6430u – a 14-inch notebook that strikes the balance between aesthetic appeal and corporate needs to be the most manageable and secure Ultrabook thanks to Dell’s unique vPro extension. The Latitude 6430u is backed by extensive world-class service and support;
- XPS 10 – a tablet that delivers laptop-like productivity so users can fluidly transition from work projects to their personal pursuits. The XPS 10 is powered by Microsoft Windows RT and dual-core ARM architecture; and,
- XPS 12 – a convertible notebook that combines the performance of an Ultrabook with the ease-of-use of a tablet into a single device with a leading edge touch experience. The innovative form allows users to quickly shift from work to play and back.
“There are two key requests we are hearing from customers,” said Sam Burd, vice president and general manager Personal Computer Product Group. “The first is they want to simplify the computing experience for their organization, which means providing fewer or lighter devices to employees. Secondly, and even more important, they still require security and manageability. Dell’s new portfolio of PCs announced this fall and upcoming devices previewed this week at Dell World help them do both.”
Bring Your Own Device
Dell continues to empower businesses to embrace “bring your own device” (BYOD) and is helping companies gain a competitive advantage. As a result, the company has enhanced its offerings to meet both end-user and IT department requirements.
“BYOD is growing in popularity with both businesses and users and is becoming a reality in many environments – both large and small,” said Bob O’Donnell, program vice president, clients and displays, IDC. “This creates a whole new set of challenges for IT which needs to strike balance between end-user preferences, productivity and IT control. Dell’s setting sights on both audiences as evidenced in its current Windows 8 lineup, and the services and solutions along the continuum tailored for IT.”
Solutions and Services
In addition to being designed to satisfy the most demanding user, the new devices from Dell can serve as the foundation to complete, adaptive solutions that allow IT departments to support BYOD. Today, Dell offers end-to-end solutions that combine compelling hardware with state-of-the-art services to help protect critical company data on a variety of platforms and devices including those operating on Windows, iOS and Android, thereby enabling companies to better manage a diverse, heterogeneous device topology.
In order to help companies manage the multitude of devices on their network while keeping them secure from external threats, Dell has introduced a suite of complementary offerings:
- Dell Wyse Cloud Client Manager is a recently introduced SaaS offering that integrates mobile device and mobile application management functionality with additional capabilities such as thin and zero client management and the ability to manage end-user access to corporate content and apps from any device. It enables IT departments to securely manage company and user-owned devices alongside end-user access to company applications and content without the burden of ongoing solution installation, updates and maintenance.
- Dell Data Protection | Encryption is an intelligent file-based encryption solution that protects data on laptops and desktops, as well as external media, in case of loss or theft. It complies with highest level US government security standards and meets U.S. Federal Information Processing Standard (FIPS) 140-2 certification for data encryption.
- Dell KACE this week announced a limited release of its new K3000 Mobile Device Management Appliance that extends systems management capabilities to enforce security policies for both corporate and personal mobile devices running on both iOS and Android operating systems. Integration with the K1000 System Management Appliance provides IT with a powerful, integrated, easy-to-use solution to accurately track, monitor and manage desktops, laptops, servers and mobile devices more efficiently