- Organisations modernising their Microsoft-based IT environments can cut costs up to 50 percent using CommVault’s singular software platform
- Simpana software scales data protection and delivers a single view of information and management across Microsoft applications and infrastructure from Windows 8.1 to Microsoft Azure
- Optimise manageability, availability and network resources with new virtual machine life cycle management for Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V
- Enhancements to Exchange archive, self-service search and access enable “infinite mailboxes” that reduce the long-term storage costs and complexity of e-mail management and eDiscovery needs
CommVault today announced an extension of its 15-year relationship with Microsoft to provide new, highly scalable solutions for managing and protecting data in Hyper-V virtual environments, managing workloads in Microsoft Azure, and new integration for Exchange, Office 365, SharePoint, and SQL Server applications.
The newest enhancements to CommVault’s Simpana singular software platform are tailored for Microsoft applications and infrastructure and designed to help enterprises cut costs by up to 50 percent, increase the value of data, drive business efficiencies and reduce risk. They include new capabilities for the management and access of data across the enterprise, from front offices to hosted cloud services, designed for the highest operational efficiency.
CommVault will showcase the enhanced Simpana software offering at Microsoft TechEd North America, Microsoft’s premier technology conference for IT professionals and enterprise developers, next week in booth #401 and in the session DCIM-B291, titled “Windows and Microsoft Azure Centric Data Management.”
CommVault has built a unique data management architecture that allows enterprises to securely and efficiently discover, protect, manage and create value from data. Simpana software extends Microsoft’s built-in archiving support by delivering enterprise-class compliance and eDiscovery features including a single management interface for federated search, legal hold, file and email analytics and content-aware, deep retention. With these powerful capabilities integrated with Windows Explorer, Outlook and other Microsoft applications, organisations can increase the availability of data for analytics, collaboration, cloud-based and mobile applications.
“Modern enterprises must keep their data operations running and respond quickly to business needs regardless of the size of the company or the vertical industry,” says N. Robert Hammer, chief executive officer and president of CommVault. “CommVault’s unparalleled integration and optimisation for Microsoft-based IT environments is a key reason why our customer, resellers and service providers trust in CommVault’s long-standing relationship with Microsoft for data management innovations that reduce cost, complexity and risk.”
“CommVault’s embrace of Microsoft’s entire stack – application, Operating System (OS), and Cloud offerings – provides a 360 degree view of your entire infrastructure. This single view is critical to organisations striving to deliver against the fast-changing business demands for secure and instantly available information,” says Bob Kelly, corporate vice president, Microsoft. “The combination of Simpana and the Microsoft stack gives customers the tools needed to extract value from business data and manage their information more efficiently, whether it resides on physical infrastructure, Hyper-V virtual servers or the Microsoft Azure platform.
Industry-leading Integration and Optimisation for Microsoft-based IT environments
The new updates include more automated ways for enterprises and service providers to holistically manage data with deep integration for Microsoft Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V and Azure hosted clouds and broad interoperability and support for Microsoft Exchange, Office 365, SQL Server, SharePoint and Windows endpoint devices.
Simpana software allows users and provider partners to unify data protection operations including backup, archive and Disaster Recovery (DR) and seamlessly move data from on-premises infrastructure to Azure cloud storage with a few mouse clicks.
Accelerating Hyper-V Adoption and Extending to Microsoft Azure
Working closely with Microsoft engineers, CommVault today introduced enhancements for Windows Server 2012 R2 with Hyper-V virtualisation that optimise manageability, data availability, storage efficiency and network resources for enterprises and service providers, including:
• Hyper-V Virtual Machine (VM) lifecycle management features that extend VM administration to end-users such as application owners or customers in multi-tenant environments, without requiring a call to the helpdesk. On demand, users can automatically provision their own new VMs with CPU, memory and storage resources; apply data protection to new VMs; and access, manage, recover and expire VMs — all based on pre-defined policies that control usage, cost and retention and managed via a single console.
• New block-based tracking support for Hyper-V, also known as Changed-Block Tracking (CBT), enables “incremental forever” backups that minimise the impact on production VMs, reduce network requirements and provide more effective data protection and recovery.
• Highly scalable data backup architecture that can protect hundreds of Hyper-V VMs in a single node, using the combination of new Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) proxy backups and an incremental forever methodology. Enhanced CSV support now allows customers to use a proxy node to backup VMs residing on other Hyper-V nodes within the cluster, enabling LAN-free Hyper-V backups and eliminating the backup burden from production server and network resources.
Eliminating Data Silos and Reducing Risk with a Single View of Data
A core component of the Simpana software platform is the ContentStore, which is the single repository of CommVault-managed information for all data on any storage tier from physical to virtualised infrastructure and hosted workloads. A converged Simpana backup and archive process reduces storage requirements and captures granular intelligence about the data, such as email subject headers and filenames, to simplify data recovery, search and business analytics. Key enhancements to the Simpana software platform today include:
• ContentStore Mail enables organisations to centrally house all Exchange data in the ContentStore repository to essentially create infinite mailboxes. New PST archiving reduces risk by collecting personal message folders for simplified search, eDiscovery and access even if they are stored locally on file shares and endpoint devices. Customers can also securely search and use their archived email through a web console and natively through Outlook.
• New Office 365 integration lets customers create on-premises copies of cloud-based files to simplify access and improve search and eDiscovery for legal hold and compliance requirements.
• Optimised protection for SharePoint supports externalised BLOB storage, which reduces the size of the SharePoint content database and efficiently archives and tiers data. Simpana software protects the entire SharePoint system, from the web farm to sites and documents, including the BLOB storage.
• New SQL Server 2014 support and simplified protection of SQL Server Always-On configurations reduce the impact to the application server. Additionally, automated provisioning of the SQL database from backup copies can accelerate testing and development.
• New Microsoft System Centre Operations Manager (SCOM) integration allows administrators to react faster to issues by managing Simpana software alerts via the SCOM interface.
• Windows endpoint protection, file sync and upload enable companies migrating their Windows XP client systems to Windows 7 or 8 to use CommVault Edge technology to easily and safely backup, recover and migrate data while maintaining continuous access to information for their mobile workforce. IT departments can wipe data on lost or remote laptops and lock sensitive documents. They can protect files created on tablets and smartphones with the ability to upload specific files to the ContentStore, sync them across devices and securely access and share data through web and mobile tools.
Availability and Time to Value for Microsoft Environments
The Simpana software enhancements are available immediately worldwide in the most recent Simpana 10 release directly from CommVault and its global channel network of PartnerAdvantage resellers, distributors, OEM and servicer provider partners.
CommVault Services are also immediately available to help customers achieve the fastest time-to-value over traditional in-house approaches. CommVault consultants help clients design, build and operate optimal modern data management environments for their business needs. As a result, customers are accelerating, extending and optimising the value of their Simpana Software ecosystem through a full suite of offerings ranging from Data Classification and Archive Policy Design to Architecture Design and Disaster Recovery Readiness.