Uber, the innovative app that connects riders with drivers has created a temporary vehicle option called UberASSIST, that allows all riders to request a car that will collect various donations for the firefighters currently battling the blazes in Cape Town.
The massive fires have spread from Boyes Drive in Muizenberg to Noordhoek, Hout Bay and Westlake due to strong winds. Over 300 firefighters have been battling the blazes in the region since Saturday and they need as much support as possible to keep them energised.
Uber is encouraging all Capetonians to donate drinks and food to these heroes and heroines in any quantities, even the smallest donation will go along way. Items that have been requested by the firefighters are bottles of water, sports energy drinks (Energade and Lucozade), non-perishable foods such as canned beans, spaghetti and sweetcorn and loaves of bread. Uber will collect all donations and arrange to have them dropped off at the nominated fire stations and community centres across Cape Town.
How to help our firefighters by giving back!
1. Sign up here if you are not yet an Uber user
2. Open the UberASSIST vehicle view on the bottom slider
3. Toggle over UberASSIST and request a ride like you normally would
4. A vehicle will arrive at your location within minutes, ready to collect your donations and deliver them to the firefighters
5. There will be no charge for the UberASSIST rides; so please get donating and help our firefighters protect our beautiful land!
Important To Note:
• The vehicle view is open during business hours (10am – 05pm) – leaving the evening for Uber to get all donations to the various fire stations and community centres.
• Donations cannot be in cash, only food, drink and items on this wish list will be accepted
• Riders will not be able to take any rides in any of the UberASSIST vehicles